Wednesday 17 November 2010

Sleeping Hibiscus

Common name: Sleeping hibiscus, Turk's Cap, Firecracker Hibiscus

I somehow always thought these were hibiscus flowers that had folded up.   Now I know better.  The name Sleeping Hibiscus is pretty apt too. 

Sleeping Hibiscus is a shrub from Mexico. The flowers are pendulous.  Have seen them only in red, but it appears there is a pink one too. 

Botanical name: Malvaviscus arboreus var. arboreus    Family: Malvaceae (Mallow family)

Strangely, the sleeping hibiscus flowers best when in bright sunlight.  I would have thought otherwise!

Picture taken at Hitex Convention Center, Hyderabad.

Info - http://flowersofindia.net

3 comments:

  1. Oh I did nt know they r called so though I hv seen them in many places. We used to break the stalk and drink their juice during our school days ;

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to drink the nectar, too. And without any side effects even when it was laced with those small, smelly ants! Now, I have a miniature variety of this hibiscus -- a smallish shrub with flowers just two cm long.
    It was interesting to read about the Devil's tree in your earlier post.

    ReplyDelete