Friday 6 May 2011

Gulmohar Tree

Common name: Flame Tree, Royal Poinciana

While I hate the heat in summer, I love the trees that bloom this season.  The yellow Laburnum, the purple Jacaranda and the red/orange Gulmohar. 



Native to Madagascar, this tree is now seen almost all over India.  All through the months of May-June one finds the tree covered with clusters of bright orange flowers along with its delicate green fern leaves.

Botanical name: Delonix regia    Family: Caesalpiniaceae (Gulmohar family)

Picture taken at Somajiguda, Hyderabad

5 comments:

  1. wow! these are simply beautiful shots! i can look at them forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. But I still think the pictures did not capture the beauty. I saw the tree in full bloom and had to set off on a hot summer afternoon. I should probably have photographed the tree in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I love about this season too. I crib about the heat but the sight of these flowering trees makes us think about the other face of summer!;) Glad you posted these photos!

    Kanak (from my other blog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooops, it's me again! I wanted to tell you that I also have another blog called Nature Rambles ...http://goodmotherearth.blogspot.com

    Hope you'll drop by ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank u for ur info.i was searching its name n i found this site.this site is quite complete info abt flowers n trees.luv it.

    ReplyDelete