Thursday 1 September 2011

Calendula

Common name: Calendula, Pot Marigold, English Marigold  


These are bright yellow and orange flowers belonging to the Sunflower family.  They look similar to the Marigold flower - the most popular flower this season in India adorning doorways and garlands.


Pot marigolds are said to bloom at the beginning of the month and thus got its name from Kalendae, Latin for first day of the month. The petals of the flower are known to have medicinal properties.


Botanical name: Calendula officinalis    Family: Asteraceae (Sunflower family).   Pictures taken at Hitex, Hyderabad and Lodi Gardens in Delhi


 

5 comments:

  1. love your header picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the panoramic view that you took!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! That's a new header. I like it very much. The flower is also beautiful. I tried growing it once but it didn't germinate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. The pic was taken by my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty pictures! I have grown calendula a few times and i love the fact that they attract a lot of bees. About your comment on my blog (about home-grown food), I totally agree!;-)

    ReplyDelete